Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Vegan Challenge: Vegan Snacks POPCORN!

I love me some popcorn.


I'm not a big fan of popcorn from a bag. And unless you love those transfats, I'd suggest buying popcorn kernels and popping them yourself.  It takes just a few minutes, and it's far tastier than the microwaved bag.  Heat a little oil in a pan, throw in some kernels, cover, and keep movin' 'em around until they're all popped.  Since I am human after all... I do like some butter.  When the kernels have popped ( I use the bag instructions: wait until poppings occur every 3 - 4 seconds)  I transfer everything to a bowl, put a little butter in the pan, wait until it melts, then put the popcorn back in the pan.  This ensures even butter distribution, which, as we all know, is essential.

I usually toss a little spice on my popcorn.  I just tried out Cajun seasoning blend, which is probably my favourite so far.

Here's a recipe for Excellent Homemade Cajun Seasoning from Canadian Home Living:

Cajun Seasoning: Ingredients

1/4 cup (50 mL) paprika
1/4 cup (50 mL) dried parsley
2 tbsp (25 mL) garlic powder
2 tbsp (25 mL) dried oregano
2 tbsp (25 mL) dried thyme
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper

Toss all the ingredients together, and sprinkle on your popcorn.

I suggest you also try on your popcorn: Cumin; Curry; Paprika and Chili Flakes.  All excellent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment