Thursday, April 21, 2011

Vegan Challenge: Vacation Prep

So I'm going to New York for the Easter weekend to hang with my boyfriend and best friend (who is visiting from Toronto).

One thing I always try and do before a trip is clean out my fridge.  Since I've been eating vegan, my fridge is full of vegetables.  Knowing they wouldn't keep until I returned home, I decided to freeze 'em up so when I'm back I can make my own vegetable broth!

Celery, Brussel Sprouts, Yams, Garlic, Carrots, Zucchini, Green Beans, Lettuce, Asparagus, Orange Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, and Cherry Tomatoes.  Delish.
Make sure you chop them BEFORE you freeze them, because that's much harder to do when they're frozen rock solid!
Chop chop, stuff in a bag, and toss it in the freezer. 
There's a few things to be said about making your own vegetable broth.  For one, store bought broth tends to be extremely high in salt.  And secondly, I'm a firm believer that the more processed food you buy, the more pounds you're going to put on.  So whenever possible, I try to make everything from scratch (sauce, dressing, etc.)

Typically, the hours leading up to me leaving for a trip can be hectic to say the least.  For example, today I came home early from work to do a garbage run (from my basement renovation) and when I returned home, just hours before my flight and still not packed, I found water gushing out the side of the house.  Fantastic.  

It's a great feeling knowing I have a clean fridge and tasty vegetables just waiting to be turned into broth when I get home.

NOW I'm ready for New York!
 

1 comment:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading.
    Really awesome and informative blog, keep it up buddy…
    Thanks for posting
    Toronto Basement Renovations

    ReplyDelete